‘Criminal Minds’ & ‘Teen Wolf’ Creator Jeff Davis Inks Broadcast-Only Overall Deal With Fox – Deadline

Jeff Davis has signed a direct, exclusive, broadcast-only overall deal with Fox. Under the agreement, the Criminal Minds and Teen Wolf creator will develop scripted dramas for the Fox network in what marks Fox Entertainment’s first direct, overall term deal.

The pact, announced today during Fox’s presentation at the TCA summer press tour, marks the first talent deal signed by the Fox broadcast network since its split from studio 20th Century Fox TV earlier this year following the completion of the Disney-Fox acquisition.

Signing overall and development/script deals directly with writers and develop projects internally before laying them off at outside studios was a key part of the strategy laid out by Fox brass last summer as it prepared for a future as an independent.

“Jeff is a singular talent with a unique voice. His ability to create an incredibly wide range of shows – from character-driven procedurals like Criminal Minds to pop culture-piercing coming-of-age stories like Teen Wolf – is what makes this deal so significant,” said Michael Thorn, President, Entertainment, Fox Entertainment. “As the company’s first direct overall deal, it has even greater significance because it underscores our commitment to being in business with the industry’s best creators – and offering them flexibility and backend, both rare commodities in today’s marketplace.”

Davis created CBS drama series Criminal Minds, which is going in to its 15th and final season. He also created and served as showrunner on Teen Wolf, which ran for six seasons and was the highest-rated scripted series in MTV history. He has developed pilots for a number of networks, and along with producer David Janollari, he currently is working on a pilot for Syfy, based on the classic series Night Gallery.

The deal reunites Davis with Thorn.

“Producing the pilot of Teen Wolf with Michael Thorn not only began one of the best professional experiences I’ve had, but set a high bar for collaborative partners that I’ve sought to replicate ever since,” Davis added. “The chance to do it again with him, Charlie Collier, Charlie Andrews, Gabriel Marano and the rest of their team at Fox was one I couldn’t pass up.”

Davis is repped by Authentic Talent & Literary Management and Jackoway Austen Tyerman Wertheimer Mandelbaum Morris Bernstein Trattner & Klein.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

El Paso lawyer with criminal record runs for district attorney on campaign of 2nd chances – El Paso Times

Longtime El Paso lawyer Roger Montoya said he is running for El Paso County district attorney, adding that he accepts responsibility for his criminal history and is building his campaign off of second chances

However, some are questioning the motives behind his campaign to replace outgoing District Attorney Jaime Esparza.

Montoya, who announced his candidacy July 20, joins a crowded race for the seat, which is already headlined by two prominent El Paso lawyers: El Paso County Assistant District Attorney James Montoya and criminal and family law attorney Yvonne Rosales.

Roger Montoya’s criminal background

Roger Montoya will enter the race with his criminal background being a main issue.

“All of the charges were misdemeanor charges at the level of conviction,” Roger Montoya said. “I have been convicted five times on misdemeanor charges. I pleaded guilty each time and accepted responsibility for my wrong actions. I served my sentences with dignity and grace.”

He was arrested several times, including two times each for discharging a firearm in a certain municipality and deadly conduct, according to court records.

Want more coverage on issues that matter to you? Consider supporting local journalism with a subscription to the El Paso Times.

He pleaded guilty to all of the counts. The punishments ranged from two years of  probation to 90 days in the El Paso County Jail.

He also was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated last year, but the charge was dismissed in December.

Says mistakes make him better candidate

The mistakes of his past make him a more suitable candidate for district attorney as he knows what it is like to go through the criminal justice system both as a defendant and a lawyer, Roger Montoya said.

“I accepted responsibility for doing wrong things and I learned lessons from having been through the criminal justice system,” he said. “I gained perspective. It was a very humbling experience of being in jail, and I believe it is going to help me as district attorney by making me more of a humanitarian.”

He added, “I also believe it is going to help me because a lot of people perceive the current administration as thinking it has the type of people who are infallible. In other words, that they can’t be wrong. I know I can be wrong and I will have a listening ear when people tell me, ‘Roger Montoya, you are wrong and this is how and why.’ If it makes sense to me and is a logical thing, I will not have pride. I will have humility to admit when I am wrong.”

James Montoya said the convictions against Roger Montoya make him an unfit candidate for district attorney.

“Our community deserves a district attorney with a clean record,” James Montoya said. “Someone who has been convicted of threatening other citizens with deadly weapons on three separate occasions — and who was arrested for DWI last year — should not be our chief law enforcement official. How can we trust Roger to honestly prosecute the same crimes he’s committed?”

Shooting at house, road rage allegations

The first conviction of Roger Montoya stemmed from an April 16, 2008, incident in which he fired a gun at a home with people inside, according to a criminal complaint.

Roger Montoya pulled out the gun from his waistband, stated, “watch this,” and then fired two shots at the home, the complaint states. He then walked away from the home with the handgun.

He was sentenced to 15 months of probation after pleading guilty to one count of discharging a firearm in a certain municipality.

A second incident involved allegations of road rage. Roger Montoya was arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault and another count of discharging a firearm in a certain municipality in connection with the Dec. 22, 2011, incident.

More: Here’s a look at ups and downs of El Paso County District Attorney Jaime Esparza’s career

More: State Rep. Joe Moody of El Paso to seek reelection to Texas House of Representatives

He allegedly threatened a person with a firearm, according to an indictment.

According to a complaint affidavit, Roger Montoya pulled out a handgun and waved it in the air at another driver after he became “angry at how people are uncourteous drivers,” the affidavit states.

He then went home and fired the weapon at a tree in his front yard.

Roger Montoya pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of deadly conduct on the aggravated assault charge. He also pleaded guilty to the discharging a firearm in a certain municipality.

He was sentenced to 24 months of probation, according to a judgment of conviction document filed in district court.

Roger Montoya was again arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault and criminal mischief in connection with a July 9, 2013, incident in which he allegedly pulled out a hammer with the intent to cause bodily harm and used the hammer to destroy a computer, according to a complaint affidavit.

More: Republican US Rep. Will Hurd won’t seek reelection, represents part of El Paso County

More: Border communities to get some federal reimbursement for migrant care from appropriations bill

He pleaded guilty to lesser charge of deadly conduct on the aggravated assault count and was sentenced to two years of probation.

Roger Montoya also pleaded guilty to the criminal mischief charge and was sentenced to 90 days in jail, court records show.

The last alleged criminal offense against Roger Montoya was a driving while intoxicated arrest May 25.

He was arrested after El Paso Police Department officers allegedly saw him swerving on the road at about 10:15 p.m. in the 9100 block of Viscount Boulevard, almost hitting a median, an affidavit states.

According to a motion to dismiss, the driving while intoxicated charge against Roger Montoya was dropped after key evidence was suppressed from being used in his trial. Court documents do not state what evidence was dismissed.

Connections with Rosales’ campaign

Roger Montoya was a big supporter of Rosales when she first ran for district attorney against incumbent Esparza in 2016.

According to Rosales’ campaign finance reports filed in July, Roger Montoya donated $50 to her 2020 campaign. He also served on her campaign’s host committee in June.

In a January 2016 campaign finance report filed by Rosales, Roger Montoya donated $100.

Through his law office, Roger Montoya donated $100 and $500 to Rosales’ 2016 campaign, according to her May 2016 campaign finance reports. He also gave her campaign a $216 in-kind donation.

“I supported her in the last election when she was running against Jaime Esparza because I genuinely believed that after 24 years that the people of this community — El Paso, Hudspeth and Culberson counties — really deserved to have a change in administration,” Roger Montoya said. “That’s why I supported the candidacy of Ms. Rosales. I genuinely believed because she had the courage to step up and challenge a person who had been firmly entrenched in their office, I believe she deserved my support.”

Now, he said, he believes he is the best candidate for district attorney as opposed to Rosales.

“I want to serve this community,” Roger Montoya said. “The voters deserve to have more than one or two choices on the ballot. If elected, I will serve this community well. I have 20 years of experience as an attorney and have tried 85 jury trials. I don’t want my candidacy to be a criticism or denunciation of Ms. Rosales.”

Rosales said that she believes Roger Montoya is now running for district attorney due to Esparza’s retirement and the differences she and Roger Montoya have on various issues.

“Yes, he was one of my backers and I appreciate the support he gave me back in the original race,” Rosales said. “When Esparza decided to announce his retirement, I guess that is when Mr. Roger Montoya decided he want to enter the race himself. I think over the years we had been discussing some of the policies and things I wanted to change. I guess we just had a difference of opinion on how certain things and programs needed to be changed and what different policies and procedures needed to be implemented.”

More: Dad in ‘porch pirate’ child theft case told detectives he was high on meth, documents say

More: El Paso police arrest young car burglary suspects filmed at Walmart in Crime of the Week

Rosales said that she did not have any direct conversation with Roger Montoya about his run for district attorney, but he had told her he was considering running for the seat.

“When Mr. Esparza announced he was retiring, I was fully expecting for many people to take the opportunity to run,” Rosales said. “Nobody else wanted to challenge him before in the past, so I knew it was a likelihood that several people would enter the race.”

The connection between Roger Montoya and Rosales span more than just campaign financial support. The pair were a romantic couple more than 17 years ago.

Roger Montoya said his decision to run had nothing to do with his previous relationship with Rosales. She also said that any past connection to Roger Montoya had nothing to do with the race for district attorney and should not be brought up in the race.

“I think bringing that up is more tabloid material,” Rosales said. “It has nothing to do with the race.”

James Montoya called into question the validity of Roger Montoya’s motives and his connections with Rosales.

“Roger is completely unqualified to be this community’s district attorney and I believe his entire candidacy is a deliberate attempt by my opponents to confuse voters at the ballot box,” James Montoya said. “I find it suspect that Roger was part of Ms. Rosales’ campaign committee and donated to her as recently as last month — either Roger has totally lost confidence in her or something fishy is going on.”

More: El Paso driver accused in road rage assault after woman falls off hood of his moving car

More: YISD board suspends Superintendent Xavier De La Torre for 3 days over head-butt incident

There are fears that having two Montoyas on the ballot could cause voters to be confused and split the votes between both men, which would potentially benefit Rosales.

“Frankly, these types of games show how little my opponents think of voters,” James Montoya said. “I am confident that this community will see through Roger’s charade of a candidacy. I look forward to knocking on as many doors as possible and showing that there is only one competent, honest, and professional Montoya and that’s me.”

Roger Montoya said he is not concerned over any confusion and will focus his campaign on getting his name out to the community.

“It is a potential problem,” Roger Montoya said. “But it is one that I spotted even before I announced. I am going to be dealing with that by making sure everybody knows the difference between Roger and James. As long as people know the difference of James, who is only a six-year attorney for the DA’s office, and Roger, who has 20 years experience, the voters will get it straight.”

Campaign to focus on criminal justice reform

One of the many focuses of his campaign will be criminal justice reform and providing a second chance for defendants to get their lives back on track, Roger Montoya said.

“Getting a second chance is one of the most important realizations that is being made throughout the criminal justice system,” Roger Montoya said. “Criminal justice reform is a huge movement right now. The momentum in the criminal justice reform movement right now is toward more leniency.”

Roger Montoya said that wants to bring a balance of being tough on crime while showing mercy to defendants who need a second chance.

“I want to be part of the criminal justice reform system that brings justice and mercy together,” Roger Montoya said. “We have to have balance. I know most of my opponents will be talking about being tough on crime. And of course, that is part of being the district attorney. You have to be tough when necessary, but you have to be tempered with justice and mercy.”

More: Migrant man from El Salvador dies at Lordsburg Border Patrol Station in New Mexico

More: Democratic Congressional delegation visits El Paso, denounces ‘Remain in Mexico’ policy

Roger Montoya graduated from Cathedral High School and went on to attend the University of Notre Dame. He earned his law degree from the University of Texas at Austin.

He has been practicing criminal law for more than 20 years, including a stint from 1999 to 2002 as an assistant district attorney for the El Paso County District Attorney’s Office.

Aaron Martinez may be reached at 546-6249; aamartinez@elpasotimes.com; @AMartinezEPT on Twitter.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

SoftBank's Masayoshi Son says he wants to keep working with the Saudi government, despite the Khashoggi killing, in order to continue to bring the benefits AI 'to the people'

Masayoshi Son

SoftBank Chairman Masayoshi Son said the killing of a Washington Post journalist in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul was not something he has any inside knowledge about and stressed that his company’s efforts to develop artificial-intelligence technology with money from the Saudi government would not be affected by the matter, according to a report by Axios on Wednesday.

During an earnings call to discuss SoftBank Group’s second-quarter financial results, Son was asked about the death of Jamal Khashoggi in relation to the Saudi sovereign-wealth fund’s interest in backing Vision Fund 2, a $108 billion fund that will invest in technology startups, Axios said.

“[I’m] not in a position to know all the details of the incident,” Son said, according to Axios. “And, on the other hand, we have to continue with the efforts of AI and the technological evolution to bring benefits to the people, and we are going to make steady steps to achieve that goal.”

Son then said he would not make any further comments on the topic, according to Axios. A SoftBank representative did not immediately return Business Insider’s request for comment.

The Saudi sovereign-wealth fund was a large contributor to SoftBank’s first Vision Fund, one of the biggest investors in Silicon Valley tech startups. But the Saudi fund was not listed as one of the confirmed backers for Vision Fund 2, which is topping out at around $108 billion in existing commitments. Son confirmed on the call that he was still in talks with the Saudi fund to back Vision Fund 2.

Read more: Former top Twitter execs Dick Costolo and Adam Bain announce 01 Advisors, a new venture capital firm with at least $135 million to put into startups

The Saudi government is widely believed to have directed the killing of Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in October as retaliation for his critical views of the regime. The Saudi government has said that Khashoggi was killed in a “rogue” operation.

As the revelations have come to light, many companies and investment firms have sought to distance themselves from the Saudi regime or have committed to returning or declining future investment.

SEE ALSO: This serial entrepreneur wants to destroy LinkedIn’s ‘monopoly on recruiting,’ and he’s got Golden State Warriors star Klay Thompson backing him

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: All the ways Amazon is taking over your house

Source link